CLIENT: Ojai Visitors Bureau
A city highly depending on tourism for its local economy, Ojai started experiencing a downturn trend in both room occupancy rates and sales tax revenues back in 2003. In an effort to reverse this trend, and gain a bigger share of the region’s tourism market, in 2010 the City of Ojai entered into a three-year agreement with the Ojai Valley Chamber of Commerce to launch and manage a new PR-based destination marketing program to promote Ojai as a destination. The Ojai Visitors Bureau was formed, and Ballin chosen as its agency.
- Create logo/identity package and basic marketing tools for the Ojai Visitors Bureau to attract travel writers and gain credibility as an official destination marketing organization;
- Entice travel writers and editors to showcase Ojai as a visitor destination through organized press trips, representation for Ojai at California media receptions, and themed press releases;
- Focus efforts primarily on regional drive market (LA) as key overnight market for Ojai
PR & Marketing Initiatives
- Branding/Identity Package
- Website – design, content, media photo gallery, SEO, event gallery
- Press Trips – Groups and individuals
- Social Media Platforms – Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest
- Press Kits & Press Releases
- Destination Brochure
- Enter to Win Promotions/Photo Contests
- Coolest Small Town campaign
- Limited display advertising – TripAdvisor, Sunset, Central Coast Visitors Guide, LA Times
- Hosted more than 50 travel writers/media representatives in 30 months
- Secured hundreds of print, online and broadcast travel stories for Ojai including feature stories in Sunset, Westways, Los Angeles Magazine, Los Angeles Times, The Huffington Post, San Joaquin Magazine, San Francisco Examiner and Santa Clarita Magazine.
- Increased TOT by 9 % in 2010, 9 % in 2011, and 14% increase in 2012.